We Buy Books
Academic books we are always interested in hearing about...
We are always looking to buy academic books in our specialist areas. We prefer more recently out of print items by which we mean published after 1980. If you have books to sell in these key areas please contact us:
- Literary criticism
- Literary theory including reader response, feminist, psychoanalysis, deconstruction, marxist, new historicist etc
- Cultural theory
- Literary biography, autobiography and writers' letters and diaries etc.
- Books about literary criticism, or the history and development of criticism
- History of the British Isles including specifically English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish
- African history and politics
- Politics, including labour movement history, and especially small press publications such as Pluto Press
- Biblical languages including Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek
- Dictionaries, especially those covering minority langauges or non-British English
- Classics: Ancient Greek and Latin texts especially dual language texts, plus histories of Rome or Ancient Greece
- Dual language fiction or poetry in any language
- Medieval English, Norse, Icelanic or other Northern European Sagas or mythology in the original or translated
Children's books we are always interested in hearing about...
- Any English language children's hardbacks pre 1970 - fiction or poetry
- Children's books in translation
- Biographies, autobiographies, letters, diaries or memoirs of children's authors
- Literary criticism of any children's writers and their books
- Histories of education, children's literature, or public schools
Local history books we are always interested in hearing about...
Please contact us if you have local history books to sell for any part of the British Isles. Our main local history specialisms are Yorkshire and Lancashire but we do buy books on towns, villages and people from other part of the country. We are very keen to buy books on:
- Towns, villages, parishes of the West, East and North Ridings of Yorkshire
- Towns, villages, parishes of Lancashire
- Industrial and transport history pertaining to Yorkshire or Lancashire
- Family or geneaological histories or pedigrees
- Biographies of influential Yorkshire or Lancashire men and women who lived before WWII
- Books on northern English authors: the Brontës, Elizabeth Gaskell, Leo Walmsley, Ted Hughes, John Ruskin and the Lakes poets, Andrew Marvell etc.
- Other northern English counties especially Lancashire, Cheshire, Cumberland and Westmorland (erroneously Cumbria and Merseyside)
- We are of course always particularly interested in books local to us in the West Riding covering Craven, Skipton, Grassington, Settle, the Yorkshire Dales, Leeds, Bradford or Keighley.
We only occasionally buy fiction and poetry...
Other than children's fiction we buy the following types of fiction and poetry:
- Regional or national presses such as Canongate, Poolbeg, Heinemann African Writers Series, David Philip etc
- Feminist or women's publishers such as Virago or Persephone
- Totally out of print or hard-to-find authors such as George Meredith, Mrs Linnaeus Banks, Geraldine Jewsbury, John Cowper Powys, also David Jones, Charles Williams etc.
- Modern literary fiction in translation
- Works of Canadian, Australian, Indian or other national literary authors who write in English but are not published in the UK
- Signed, first edition or limited edition novels, short stories and poetry
- Essays, short stories or minor works by major writers
We do not buy...
- Book Club including Folio Society
- General or popular fiction
- Military history except where it pertains to Yorkshire or Lancashire and their regiments
Please contact us if you have books in the above areas to sell, or if you are unsure as we would rather be offered too many books than too few. When contacting us please let us know where you and the books are in the country. Thank you.